Our Facebook Page:
Click on this link for our Facebook page:
Luke 12:48b "From everyone who has been given much, much
will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more
will be asked." [NIV].
For the second year, First Christian Church is supporting the
program Heifer International. Heifer provides sustainable support for in
need around the world by giving livestock and plants for the support of
families and communities. This year our congregation is again providing
the resources for the purchase of livestock and plants such as heifers,
llamas, tree seedlings, rabbits, and honeybees. These gifts will expand
over time as according to Heifer rules, female offspring are passed on to
another family in the community. We are feeding and providing income for
families in need through this effort. Thanks to all who help in this
mission and may God bless the gift as well as the giver!
Click on the Heifer icon link below to go to the Heifer
Thanksgiving Food Drive
Our Constitution & Bylaws:
Click on this link for the Constitution
& Bylaws as approved by the Congregation on November 22, 2009.
The first glimmer of First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) of Warner
Robins began in Del Von Almen's dining room in Rome, Georgia in January
1957. He is the son of Uncle Ott and Aunt Grace Von Almen. They
felt there was a need for a Christian Church in Warner Robins. Too many
people were having to travel to Macon to attend church activities.
Dr. Charles W. Ross, General Secretary of Christian Churches of Georgia,
(this position is equivalent to the Regional Minister) was approached about
starting a church. He responded that there was not enough money to
support another church, but the state would give them moral support and
encouragement and help however they could. It was explained that in
order to start this new church, both a budget and a petition signed by 30
people in the Warner Robins area had to be submitted. Uncle Ott scurried
around and came up with the required signatures. The budget was for
A meeting was called.
First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) of Warner Robins began with a
favorable vote by the New Church Development and Future Work committees on
Wednesday, March 13, 1957. A new church was to be established. The
meeting, which tool place at City Hall, was held because approximately 30
people with a dream had signed a petition to recommend that a new church be
established. That night twenty-one people signed the Charter Membership
roll. They voluntarily associated themselves to form a congregation to
be affiliated with the Brotherhood known as Disciples of Christ.
On Sunday, March 24, 1957, the first service was held in the Cafeteria of
Warner Robins High School. Dr. Charles W. Ross preached. That
service was followed by a two week revival led by Del Von Almen. He was
not paid. During those two weeks a church friend took him fishing three
times (the weather was great), others saw to it that he was well fed. At
the end of the revival he was presented with a Zebco rod and reel. He
was thrilled. It was the first spinning reel that he ever owned and he
still has it to this day.
On June 16, 1957 Edward Reese was called as the first minister. The
church continued meeting in the High School cafeteria until August 1959.
At that time it was discovered that an article in the State Constitution
prohibited church services from being held in State school buildings. A
committee was formed and a search for a place to worship was begun.
The First Presbyterian Church of Warner Robins offered the use of their
facilities. A schedule by which both congregations could use the same
building each Sunday was arranged. The Christian Church School met
during the Presbyterian worship service and the Christian worship service was
held from 12:15 to 1:15. This continued until December 25, 1960.
On June 29, 1959, the land where the Church now sits was purchased for
$5,000. An intensive building fund was begun, people dug into their
pockets, bonds were sold, and the money was miraculously raised.
Construction began in September 1960. Only a short time later, on
Christmas Sunday 1960, the congregation gathered to worship together in their
brand new building. A dream was continuing to unfold. Later on
February 12, 1961 that building was dedicated to the service of God.
Robert Hayes served the Church from 1961 until 1966. When he entered
the Army Chaplaincy, Dr. James Harris stepped in for two months, then Dave
Schomer was called until 1970. First Christian Church of Warner Robins
continued to grow.
In 1971 Charles L. Newby accepted the call as a full time minister.
Under his leadership, the Church presented the first live Nativity pageant on
the front lawn of the Church. This pageant was written and directed by
Newby. He also encouraged the undertaking of the Chrismon Tree. In
1975, Newby resigned and Robert Barksdale served as supply minister for
Gary Edens accepted the call in 1976. During his ministry, a new sign
was erected on the front lawn, a security light was installed and the
sanctuary was redecorated. In 1980 after Gary Edens resigned, Rev.
William Edge filled the pulpit for a short time. Then Jeff Wheeler, a
ministerial student from Emory Theological Seminary ministered to the
Church. Upon his graduation, Mary Turner acted as interim
minister. She too was a Theological student. In 1984 the Church
was blessed with a full time minister again. Frank Speight filled the
After many years, as the congregation grew, the original building became
too small. Selling the land and the building was discussed. For
Sale signs appeared on the lawn but there were no buyers. Building was
discussed but there was not enough money in the budget. The idea of fund
raising was tossed around, but things seemed to grind to a standstill.
The economy was too tight. While this was going on, John Hicks, a much
loved member of the church, was fighting a personal battle. He had
cancer. He watched and listened. In December 1984, after fighting
cancer for two years, he departed from this world. John had saved
$65,000. Only a few of his closest friends had known about it. He
willed the money to First Christian Church of Warner Robins to be used to
build a new sanctuary. The church sold a small piece of land to a
neighboring bank for $20,000. The money for a new sanctuary was in hand!
During the summer of 1985 groundbreaking and construction for a new
sanctuary began. On November 24, 1985 the building was dedicated.
The first service was held in the brand new mortgage free Sanctuary that
The Dream was continuing.
In 1986, following Speight's departure, Phil Zook filled the pulpit as
supply minister. Robert Lyons accepted the call in 1987. Upon his
resignation in the next year, Rev. Hugh Kelly filled in as interim minister.
Ron Allton accepted the call in 1988. He resigned in December
1994. Rev. John White filled in as interim minister from May until
September 1995 when Rev. David Semones accepted the call. He resigned on
October 4th, 1998. Rev. Bill Hammonds was our interim minister from
January 10th until June 6th, 1999. Rev. Darrell L. Vandervort accepted
the call as our minister in April 2000. The dream will continue to
unfold as we join hands with each other. God is reaching out to
us. We must reach out to others.
This page was last updated on 07/02/18. If you have any suggested
changes or comments, please email the webservant.